Monday, November 9, 2009

On Virtue of Simplicity

This is a short remark born from watching a "thriller" "Stay" with my favorite Ewan McGregor. The only thrill was to see that it actually ended. A movie which is announced to be only 1 hour and 39 minutes long felt like a 6-hour long ordeal. The creators of the movie were obviously concentrated on playing mind games with the viewers. Well, I can enjoy those often times, but this was one of those not infrequent occasions when the seeming complexity was hiding a void of content.

I have come to the conclusion a while back that most complicated ideas can be conveyed in a clear and simple manner. This concerns art, too. When the form is the end to itself, we are never dealing with a great work of art. Convoluted way of expressing one's thought often simply guises the lack of meaning, and also exposes the narcissism of the author. In other words, a thought does not have to be pretentiously expressed to be deep. Actually, it almost never is.

1 comment:

  1. This is my problem with the books by William Faulkner, especially "The Hamlet", which I find particularly difficult to get through. I happen to think that he uses convoluted language for the sake of using convoluted language. But most people would disagree with me.

    ReplyDelete