Saturday, November 7, 2009

That is JANE!

We are remodeling the Master Bath. The contractor who came to give me an estimate eyed the artwork we have displayed next to the shower. This reminded me of another occasion when a contractor saw the same images. We have two acrylic sketches hanging in the bathroom - nude studies which my husband painted years ago when he went to a nude painting class. The model's name was Jane. Each week he was coming home with a variety of nude paintings labeled "Jane." He would pile them up in various places around the house, and at some point it started to feel like Jane was a character in our lives. I encountered her naked body everywhere I turned. So I asked him to stop putting her name on the paintings making her just an anonymous nude. Then one day, a contractor came to my house. I had unmarked nude studies drying out on the dining room table. He looked at them with some interest, turned to me and asked me if they were pictures of ME. I hastily explained that that was JANE. Since then I never objected to he name being clearly marked on the paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment