Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Pet Politician, Anyone?

A friend of mine opined a few days ago that we should all give up on this country as of last Thursday when the Supreme Court reversed the McCain-Feingold Act on campaign finance reform. As a result, corporations, unions, and special interest groups with deep pockets are now free to use their funds to promote "their" candidates right up to the election day. No longer are the candidates required to include "I am so-and-so, and I approve of this message" verbiage in those ads (a more appropriate message now would be, "I am so-and-so, and I my vote was purchased by such and such corporation"). Personally, I think what has happened in the country for the past 12 months has been good in that it allowed us to see clearly what is what and who is who. Now we KNOW for a fact that our government is there to protect the interest of the financial elite, not the citizens; now we KNOW for a fact that any wars we may be waging are wars strictly for valuables, not values; and now we will KNOW clearly who exactly bought up our elected officials. I am not sure that knowledge is power in our case, but it is certainly better than ignorance and illusion.

Anyway, just today I came across a cartoon which I loved and which summarizes all of this nicely. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment